Perhaps as much as 40% of all British reedbeds has been lost in the last 50 years, and the quality of the remaining 60% has declined dramatically. One clear result of this is the Great Bittern Botaurus stellaris population declining to a mere 20 booming males in 1995. The warning bells have been sounded and various conservation bodies have placed reedbeds high on their lists of priorities. Th

...

Stay at the forefront of British birding by taking out a subscription to British Birds.

Subscribe Now